Friday, November 28, 2008

Pure unadulterated love

Today, I spent the whole day with my Grandson, Daniel Ong (11) whom I brought back from Australia to spend a month with. He requested me to wake up very early to take him to school to see his old schoolmates and a girl whom he was anxious to be good friends with. I sent him at 6-50 am and waited patiently for him as he asked for permission from his ex-Teacher to go in to be with his schoolmates for a few hours. Then in the afternoon, he insisted on going again and I had to stand in the hot sun for another hour patiently waiting for him as he waited for his 'beau'.

I told him afterwards that I did not have to go through such an ordeal when I was courting his Grandmother 40 years ago. Then I took him for lunch and had to help him send emails to his old friends. Finally it was off to teach him how to play badminton. Of course with such a hectic schedule, he sat on our bed and was soon fast asleep.

As I looked at him lying there in his innocence, I stretched out to stroke his face. In his "half awake-half asleep" stupor, he reached back and gripped my hands in his. What pure unadulterated joy and contentment flowed through my emotions. It was a love that exceeded what the human heart could contain and I was happy like I had not been for a long long time. Even if he did not respond to my love, I would have loved him just as much. As I looked at him lovingly, I felt God's eyes looking at me in a somewhat similar way. I felt like I could have just stayed in his arms and basked in his warmth. Yes he loves me unconditionally. What an assurance!

No comments: