Tuesday, November 25, 2008

On character and standing

"Many people have ideas on how others should change; few people have ideas on how they should change.".....Leo Tolstoy

"It's amazing how many cares disappear when you decide not be be something but to be someone!"..... Coco Chanel

How true the above sayings........

I have just returned from Australia and coming back home (and Malaysia is certainly my home - my country whom I dearly love), I am saddened by how things are developing in this country that has such potential for greatness but has such little tolerance for openness and the truth........

On Politics and political meanderings......
I had expected Sharizat to challenge Rafidah Aziz for the Presidency of UMNO even before I left for Perth. I cannot imagine how such a smart woman as Rafidah can rationalise her position by contesting and then saying that she will step down from her position in March. She was my Lecturer before and I always held a very high view of her abilities but even my regard for her from that angle cannot rightly help me fathom why she would want to overstay her welcome in this way. She has served the Women's wing so well for many years; she has left her legacy there. Now all these years of reputation built among UMNO wanita can come crumbling down because of pride or stupidity. The fact that Sharizat had garnered such high votes when she was not even contesting for Presidency shows that many in UMNO Wanita are already fed-up with Rafidah. With such signs, how can it be that she still doesn't see that she is overstaying.

If she resigns today, she will go down in the annals of UMNO Wanita as a great leader who has contributed greatly to its cause. She will be seen as an elder stateswoman who had the mantle of greatness upon her life. If she contest the Presidency and loses, it will be an ignominous end to what could have been such a meaningful and dignified exit. Why, why, why????? Why contest and hold the position for a short few more months and upset the many who feel that it is all a farce to begin with? What difference can three or four more short months in power do?? It doesn't stand to reason.Such a smart woman - such foolish thoughts......

Could it be that the hold on power is so irresistably strong that she just wants to see if there is just that small marginal chance for her to continue another term. People who are in power that long cannot see themselves. They have always been told by their loyal subordinates what they have wanted to hear all these years such that they cannot look at reality anymore. They have sadly mistaken character for standing and standing for character........ How sad!!!!!!

On Air Asia and budget fares
I was tickled pink to read in the Star about an irate Air Asia traveller who complained about the new Air Buses of Air Asia on her trip to Melbourne. She lamented about the 3-3-3 seating arrangement on Air Asia and said that the seats were too narrow. I think she must either be an ignoramus or someone who complains about everything in her life. Thank God I am not married to such a one as this!

I am a seasoned traveller flying to various destinations about 3 times a month. I use both MAS and Air Asia. Let me be very candid and fair in my views here. Air Asia has really brought air travel to such affordable levels that almost everybody can now afford to fly. They have done a huge favor to us because I remember so clearly MAS announcing that they will have no choice but to increase air travel between KL and Kota Kinabalu to above the RM1,000 level when they still had a monopoly of the skies a few years back. Those of us who travelled regualrly betweeen the 2 destinations were horrified. We knew that MAS was just passing the cost of their terrible incompetence and unchecked spending to passengers on this sector. Those of us who were affected could only sigh great gulps of relief when Air Asia came in and brought rates so low that MAS had to sing a different tune.

I have now made Air Asia the carrier of my choice even though I can well afford to travel on MAS and other other airlines. The reasons are simple - the "no frills" approach makes sense to all of us and the purchase of food on board gives us an option of choice. I took the new Air buses to Perth and back last week and I must say "Kudos" to Air Asia. The planes were clean and functional and the seat spaces were just like the ones on SIA and MAS (Economy class). So just what was the writer in STAR talking about when she complained about space?? I have no idea. I am 6 feet 1 inch tall and I was quite happy with the comfortable seats and the space. I had a great flight to Perth as well as great flight back. Obviously she must weigh 220 pounds or be 6 feet 5 inches tall.

On Politics in organisations......
So you thought politics only existed on the political stage in Malaysia. Would you believe me if I told you that there is just as much politics in the NGO scene. I belong to a Rotary club as I have done so for many years. In my latest Rotary club, I can't believe the efforts that people would take to go out of their way to play politics and use methods that are more suited in UMNO, MCA, DAP, PAS, MIC and the likes of such parties. Back-stabbing, spreading rumors, creating pressure groups, targeting people to expel, appointing "yes" people, etc are all found in the drama of social organizations. I could go on and on about the orgnazational infidelities of people but suffice it to say that the corruption of values is as much prevalent as the corruption of morals.

There is scant regard for grace and goodness and people who discredit others by calling into question character and standing are themselves full of blemishes. But do they see these blemishes?? Sadly no!! So the scheming and conniving goes on and people who are sincere and desirous of building ideals get wrestled out of the way. How sad the ways of men and how devious are the intentions of men?

Samuel Butler states that "There are no mistakes so great as that of being always right!" How true this saying. Leroy Eimes adds, "A Leader is one who sees more than others see, who sees farther that others see, and who sees before others see...." I pray that we will have more of such Leaders both in the political arena in Malaysia as well as in the social and communal arenas.......

On more pleasant things....
I brought my Grandson back from Perth for one month and what a joy it is to be able to share with him moments and events. I taught him to swim this morning and when he completed about 12 laps, I was so happy. Then I taught him badminton and pushed him to play until his hands and body ached. The I took him for my Rotary meeting and made him sit through it. As we walked back to the car with my hands wrapped around his shoulders, I knew that the joys of this world cannot compare to having the love of someone you value and care for. It is now almost 1.20 am and he is asleep. As I look into his face of innocence, I can only feel a love that is matchless. It need not be spoken out and yet it is there. I know that I will love him irrespective of who he is and what he becomes. It is a faithful love and one that has little conditions. I can just sense the flow of emotions so strong they are like a torrent - even when asleep, it is there.

Tonight I will sleep and be assured because I know my God loves me just like that except that it is even more!!! How blessed am I to be able to love my Grandson so unreservedly and to know that I am also loved just as unreservedly and more.

Ong Hock Siew

No comments: